Suggested Moving Schedule
Three Months Before Move:
- Choose move leader . . . someone with excellent communication and organizational skills who has demonstrated good rapport with all employees.
- Move leader chooses move team:
- Floor space and office layout manager
- New office furniture and equipment manager
- Electrical, telephone and computer manager
- Employee relocation manager
- Budget manager
- Designate target move-in date.
- Place hold on ordering stationery and inventory without move leader's approval.
- Track moving expenses . . . most are tax deductible.
- Order telephone lines for new location.
- Hire decorator.
- Research moving companies. Professional moving companies rely on recommendations and references. Check them out. Make sure the company you choose is equipped and staffed to meet all your needs.
- Get one set of blueprints of new office space for office layout and space planning.
- Get additional set of blueprints for electrical, computer and telephone location planning.
Two Months Before Move:
- Give notice to current landlord, including exact moving day and times.
- Notify Telephone Company of exact moving day. Retain current phone number or choose a new one. Request phone books at new location.
- Get acquainted with new location. Contact Chamber of Commerce. Investigate public transportation, parking, banks, and business services. Prepare fact sheet for employees.
- Order office signs.
- Conduct moving sale.
- Re-check insurance coverage on relation of furniture and company cars.
- Prepare press release and promotional materials.
One Month Before Move:
- Create printed moving announcements. Distribute to customers, prospects, vendors, and associates three weeks before move.
- Contact utility companies at current and new locations.
- Order new office stationery.
- Preview new offices.
- Contact vending machine services, water and coffee services at both locations.
- Schedule phone coverage during move.
- Inventory all stock.
One Week Before Move:
- Each employee packs contents of his or her office, labels boxes "Fragile" or "Do Not Move," as appropriate.
- Common area manager supervises packing of computers, electronic equipment.
- Computer manager supervises careful packing of computers, electronic equipment.
- Pictures, mirrors and other easily broken items should be wrapped in bubble pack or be moved in
- Make copies of new Office keys.
- Make maps to new location.
- Hold pre-move company meeting.
- Notify post office to forward mail.
- Move safe deposit boxes.
- Clear out storage lockers.
- Defrost refrigerators.
- Make signs for movers identifying placement areas at new location.
- Last minute confirmations: phones, movers, landlord inspection of old office.
- Have all employees back-up their computer files.
- Conduct moving day meeting with entire staff before movers arrive.
- Have critical items on hand during move:
- Extra keys to new office
- Pens and paper
- Auxiliary/cellular phone(s)
- Laptop computer for employee e-mail
- Extension cord/power strip
- Company check book, petty cash
- Clean old office for final inspection.
- Tip movers.
After the Move:
- Place "We've Moved" sign at old office with new phone number and address.
- Conduct "After the Move" party.
- Change answer machine/voice mail message.
- Recycle empty boxes.
- Report damage claims
- Hold post-move company meeting.
- Plan Open House to show off new facilities.